Monday, August 25, 2008

Get Off the Pot...

...as in "Shit or get off the pot". Did you expect something classy? Wrong place for that.

The WAR Preview weekend gave me some insight to which class I'll play on release. At this point in time I'm torn between three of them. Current contenders are the Black Ork or the Chosen on Destruction side and the Battle Priest on Order's side.

The catch is, I might throw those picks out if a certain gaming buddy decides he's going to play WAR and go with a complimenting partner class. In short, I'm waiting for him to shit or get off the pot.

He seems to be leaning towards the Archmage at the moment. He liked the Sorceress and Chosen, but found them too limited or one-sided for his liking. The were effectively the inverse; one was solid and takes a beating in melee with no real ranged ability while the other does loads of damage from afar but next to none up close and can't take a whole lot of damage.

Fair enough.

The Archmage is middle of the road. He appears to get medium armor, can do a little melee damage, some ranged damage and heals. It's got a little more use and desirability.

With that in mind, I'll probably take a look at the Sword Master (High Elf Tank) and, maybe, the Dwarf Ironbreaker.

The other alternative is to keep on playing a Battle Priest so we can drive our enemies nuts with our nigh-invulnerability (healing ourselves and each other haha).

Hmm. There's a thought. That will teach me to think of what I'm writing while I'm writing it.

Now if only he'd decide whether he's playing or not.


Oh, if any random readers are playing EQ2 on Guk server, I'm on there playing around with a Gnome Necromancer named Xuic. Feel free to send me a tell if you're on and I'll likely wonder who the heck you are and why are you talking to me. :)

How's that for being inviting?

Xuic is only around level 8 or 9 and currently in Timorous Deep. I figured I might as well get some use out of the expansion and the credit they gave me... which might not have worked right because it says the next billing is on the 18th of September.

Grrr...

8 comments:

Evolving Squid said...

With no small sense of irony, I give you this URL:

http://vgplayers.station.sony.com/characters.vm?characterId=60129542322

SmakenDahed said...

That a link of Loligo hitting 50 in VG? Congratz!

Scott was telling me you were playing it and going at it pretty hard core... well, not that hard, but going at it.

I'm going to be holding off on the return to VG until there is some more to do. I peeked at the raids and stuff and it sounds like it is more work than it's worth.

I think Frank decided and he's not going to bother playing EQ2 or WAR. He is really missing the old EQ1 style of play where the combats took longer (even with a full group) and you had more options available to you (at least as a caster you did).

I keep telling him to go back to EQ1 but it's tough to do when you've done the low level content over and over.

They almost need to re-release that game with completely new content. Of course, half of the issue is the whole "MMO Cherry" thing. Part of the beauty of EQ1 was that it was the first MMO for some of us LOL So even if they did re-release the game with all new content, it STILL wouldn't be as good as it was on release.

There is no win.

Ysharros said...

Archmages wear light armor - they're closer to the standard healy char-paradigm than the melee healers (DoK, WP). DPS is quite low, healing power quite high especially on single targets.

Also, there's no reason you can't make an Empire char and just hit another starting zone to level up.

Combat may not be as slow as it was in EQ1 originally, but your buddy might still want to take a look. The higher you level, the slower combat seems to become, and they may mess with Time-to-Kill some more, as they did before the preview weekend to further slow things down.

SmakenDahed said...

That is true, but at the moment, I'm not sure how to get to the other starting areas. I believe I'd have to make a run to the RVR area for which ever starting area I'm in, and use some sort of teleporter NPC?

Evolving Squid said...

Levelling from 44.9 where I was when I quit to 50 was not a massive investment of time, but not having kids nor being a watcher of television, I probably have more time to play than Scott :)

I've actually been working on Diplomacy for the last while, and levelling an alt. I don't know how long my attention will be (re)captured, but it's a diversion from the usual crap around here.

SmakenDahed said...

Hey, my congratz was sincere. I think I stopped at 46 or 47 and, if I remember right, I was close to the next level with vitality or rested XP or what ever they call it coming out of the wazoo.

Did you have vitality for the remaining levels? I seem to remember it capping or something.

Like I keep telling Scott, I don't think I'll be back until maybe some time after Christmas.

Ysharros said...

You may not see this but -- no running through RvR areas required at low levels. You run through the lowbie (Ch1-3?) PvE areas to the T1 warcamp, which is near but not in RvR zone, and from there you take the Flight Master NPC to whichever other zone you want to get to.

SmakenDahed said...

I see everything... namely because I get notifications for comments.

Yup. Good to know.